Lorraine Hansberry Theatre Playwrights Competition
SUBMIT YOUR GREAT COMEDY!
The Lorraine Hansberry Theatre (LHT) is seeking submissions for its
Playwrights Competition July 9th through Friday, August 10, 2018
SUBMISSION PERIOD: Electronic submissions for the 2018 competition must be submitted no earlier than 9 July 2018 and no later than 10 August, 2018 at 11:59 pm (Pacific).
FEES: There is no entry fee.
JUDGING: Three semi-finalists will be selected by a panel of theater arts professionals to include LHT’s Interim Artistic Director, Aldo Billingslea. Judging will take place in August 2018. Three semi-finalists will be announced in early September 2018.
1. Three semi-finalists will receive a public staged reading during a weekend festival October 12-14, 2018.
2. The winning finalist will receive $7,500 and a workshop to further develop the script to be considered for a full production in 2019.
1. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length scripts written in English. Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children's plays are not accepted.
2. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript. Scripts must be authored by only one playwright.
3. Scripts that fit the criteria and have had a workshop, or reading WILL be considered.
4. Plays that have been published or produced (off-book for an audience) are NOT eligible.
5. Scripts may NOT be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission or during the competition timeline.
6. Scripts will be accepted from playwrights within the United States with preference given to playwrights with connections to the San Francisco Bay Area.
7. Lorraine Hansberry Theatre reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason and to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition.
8. All submissions must give LHT first option to produce their work, if selected as the finalist.
SCRIPT CRITERIA: Please carefully follow these guidelines in preparing your script:
1. This competition is restricted to scripts written in the English language.
2. The script must address a social issue(s) in a comedic way and have a hopeful ending.
3. The script must have at least two African American women (or of African descent) characters, one of whom is at least 40 years old.
4. The script must have at least one scene where two females have a conversation that is not primarily about men.
SCRIPT SUBMISSION RULES:
1. Scripts must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in Yale Drama Series play format.
2. Lorraine Hansberry Theatre will accept electronic submissions in .PDF format ONLY. By electronically submitting your script, you will receive confirmation of your submission.
3. The script must begin with a title page that shows the play's title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, a list of acts and scenes and a 1-2 paragraph descriptive summary of the play that may be used in a program.
4. Before title page, provide a separate page with the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief 1-3 paragraph biography.
5. Email scripts to playwrights@LHTSF.org. In the Subject Line Add: Playwrights Competition Submission + TITLE OF SCRIPT.
6. No more than 100 scripts will be accepted by the deadline of Friday, August 10, 2018 at 11:59 PM (Pacific).
QUESTIONS? For more information regarding the 2018 Lorraine Hansberry Theatre Multicultural Playwrights Competition, email playwrights@LHTSF.org. In the Subject Line: Question RE: Playwrights Competition.
(NOTE: Rules adapted from the Yale Drama Series Competition and the East West Players Competition Guidelines.)